Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
History, Facts and Overview
(Las Vegas, Nevada - NV, USA)
The very first incarnation of McCarran Airport was the Alamo Airport, which was established on this very site in 1942. By 1950, the airport was owned by Clark County and now named as the McCarran Field, honoring local Nevada senator Pat McCarran. The mid-sixties saw more than 1.5 million travelers using the airport to fly to and from Las Vegas and the next decade saw the number of airlines operating here double.
The early 1980s were a time of great development and more than $300 million was spent improving facilities, including the building of a new terminal, parking garage, runway extensions, extra gateways and greater access. More recently in 2007, Las Vegas McCarran Airport (LAS) has just launched a remote parking lot with around 5,000 spaces, linked by a series of buses.
Various passenger amenities are on offer at the Las Vegas McCarran Airport and include a full-service branch of the Wells Fargo Bank, a checkpoint mailer service for posting home items not permitted on the aircraft, Travelex currency exchange, and ATM machines, which provide an easy way to obtain dollars. Also onsite is free Wi-Fi Internet access, Federal Express airport drop boxes, and hotel check-in services, complete with concierge.
As well as numerous shops and dining options, Las Vegas McCarran Airport is also home to a US Postal Service Center, SpeedCheck kiosks for faster check-in, a 24-hour fitness center, and manned information booths offering general assistance and translation services. For gamblers looking for a taste of Las Vegas life, there are plenty of slot machines, while families with young children will enjoy the aviation-themed soft play center. The airport even features its own art gallery, with paintings often depicting scenery of the Nevada Desert and the lights of downtown Las Vegas.